Legal Aspects

Legal Aspects

School Legislation & Co.

All legal aspects of school trips and day-outings are stated in the various school laws. The laws that apply to your country, federal state or province should be available at your school. The German regulations can also be found on the pages of the Deutschen Bildungsservers. The various decrees regulate all aspects of authorisation, supervision, financing, reimbursement of travel costs, insurance, etc. for national and international class trips.

Going abroad – as easy as that

Denmark, Germany and The Netherlands are members of the European Union. When citizens of an EU country travel within the European Union, a valid identity card or passport suffices for entering another EU country. Children of 10 years and older need a children’s passport.

… also for children of non-EU countries

Pupils of so-called “third countries” (countries, that are not members of the EU) that permanently live in Germany, do not need a special visa any more for class trips to or going through another EU country, provided that the children are listed in a so-called “Reisendenliste”.
Such a “Reisendenliste” is available at the aliens department. This list should be fetched well in time (about 4 weeks prior to the class trip) to ensure enough time for collecting all necessary information.
You need the following data:

  • name and address of the school
  • name and surname of all children of your class (including the names of the accompanying teachers)
  • additionally names, surnames, dates of birth, places of birth, nationality and – if possible – the legal status according to the right of residence of those children from non-EU countries
  • passport photos of these children

More information on this issue is available here.

National and International Protection of Minors

The German  “Jugendschutzgesetz” (de) regulates the time- and age-limits for youths visiting e.g. discos as well as the selling of alcohol and tobacco to youths. This law also applies on class trips, if the valid school legislation does not have stricter regulations (e.g. no alcohol at all school-related events).
The regulation in Denmark (de) and in The Netherlands (de) are similar to those in Germany. If classes from one country travel to anther country, always the stricter rule applies to this group.
More information on Jugendschutz in Germany is available on the sites of the Bundesarbeitsgemeinschaft Kinder- und Jugendschutz (de).